The Church of St. Lawrence
This church was built in the Neo-Gothic style by a local builder, Eduard Zirm, on the site of a 14th century single-nave Gothic church, following a project by architect Stephan Tragl of Prague. The old church was demolished in 1886 and the new one was completed three years later. It is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The western steeple is 60 m tall, the three-nave hall is 30 m long and 18 m wide, with a transept, presbytery, sacristy and oratory complementing the cross plan on the eastern side. The high altar is dominated by a statue of God the Father with angels and a statue of Jesus Christ. The beautiful stained-glass windows were made by the Geylings glassmakers of Vienna. The valuable Stations of the Cross were made by the Stufleser Company based in St. Ulrich in Tirol. The organ was manufactured by the Rieger brethren in 1889 and features a richly decorated wooden case, twenty-two ranks and two manuals. Some of the artefacts transferred from the old to the new church are among the oldest cultural monuments of the town, especially the altar paintings of St. Anne and St. Lawrence. Perhaps the most valuable work is a copper baptismal font bearing the year 1566 and the inscription “Wer glaubt und gatauft ist, wird seelich” (He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved).
543 01 Vrchlabí