It is possible to climb ice on a rock at the end of the ‘Keep Fit’ track in Labsky dul valley, near Spindleruv Mlyn. It is the only such site, moreover located in the very centre of the national park, and the activity is therefore limited as follows:
- Ice climbing is only possible when there is enough snow, at least 30 cm, and the ice layer is thick enough,
- Climbing is only allowed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.,
- Climbers must first register through the KRNAP Administration’s website; only 16 people per day can register with respect to the small icefall size and the need to preserve the site,
- Climbing is only allowed on the ice; drytooling or mixed climbing is not allowed in order to prevent damage to the rock,
- No anchors are installed in the icefall.
If you would just like to try ice climbing without a professional supervisor, we recommend using the artificial ice walls in the following Krkonose chalets and ski resorts:
- Ice wall in Bradlerovy chalets
- Artificial ice wall near Luční chalet
- Namche ice wall near Výrovka chalet - a 12 m high ice wall is located directly on one of the chalet walls. Access to the wall and rental of the NAMCHE professional equipment is free. The wall should only be used by those with climbing experience, otherwise, a suitable instructor should be used. Everyone uses the wall at their own risk, while considering their physical abilities and responsibility.