Former Blacksmith’s Shop – Spindleruv Mlyn

Špindlerův Mlýn

The first settlements where Spindleruv Mlyn is located today were founded by miners and various folk people in connection with the local ironworks that processed ore excavated in the area. The ore was excavated as early as in the 16th century, namely from the sides of the Kozi ridges, Zelezna Mountain and Stoh hill. The miners needed for their work high quality tools that came to be provided by blacksmiths who later moved into the settlement.

Blacksmith's shops also opened up at hard-to-access building sites, such as during the construction of Certova strouha, a remarkable torrent control work.

The remains of one of the shops have been preserved on the right-hand bank of Certova strouha, accessible today via an educational trail with infopanels and an information centre operated in summer from a wooden cabin. Here you can also learn that the torrent control structure on the Certova strouha brook was built in 1901–1902 by prisoners from the Mirov and Valdice prisons.


Špindlerův Mlýn
50.7523608N, 15.6530889E
The Real Krkonose
The Real Krkonose

Go from Harrachov to Zacler or in the opposite direction, for a three-day trip or for a whole week. Enjoy the pure nature, the warmth of the mountain chalets and the sky full of stars.