Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


Jiri Mine Shaft

Print
Jiri Mine Shaft
Jáma Jiří - Kopec Jiří Jáma Jiří - kulturní památka Jáma Jiří - cedulka k památce
Rýchorské náměstí 181, 542 01 Žacléř
Email: muzeum@zacler.cz
Phone: (00420)499 739 211
Web: http://www.zacler.cz/
Map: View

The Jiri (‘George’) mine shaft used to be an underground black coal mine located at ‘Na Jirim’ hill northwest of the town of Zacler. The mine shaft was probably dug as early as in 1819 or before, and it is recorded as being in use and equipped with a steam engine in 1848. In 1855 it reached a depth of 132 m. The Gabler family were the first owners who began to create it, and in 1860 it was sold to Baron Silberstein. In the mid-1870s the coal industry went into crisis, and Baron Silberstein was heavily affected, eventually losing his property in bankruptcy. The Zapadocesky bansky akciovy spolek (ZBAS, ‘The West Bohemia Mining Stock Union’) bought the mine in 1898. After World War Two, the ZBAS mines were put under national management. They were nationalised as of 1 January 1946, and made part of the Vychodoceske uhelne doly (VUD, ‘The East Bohemia Coal Mines’) national enterprise. In 1950, the mines around Zacler were merged and renamed Dul Jan Sverma. Mining ended in 1992. The Jiri mine shaft, the shaft building and the shaft tower were declared a National Heritage monument on 8 February 1996. The Jiri (‘George’) mine shaft used to be an underground black coal mine located at ‘Na Jirim’ hill northwest of the town of Zacler. The mine shaft was probably dug as early as in 1819 or before, and it is recorded as being in use and equipped with a steam engine in 1848. In 1855 it reached a depth of 132 m. The Gabler family were the first owners who began to create it, and in 1860 it was sold to Baron Silberstein. In the mid-1870s the coal industry went into crisis, and Baron Silberstein was heavily affected, eventually losing his property in bankruptcy. The Zapadocesky bansky akciovy spolek (ZBAS, ‘The West Bohemia Mining Stock Union’) bought the mine in 1898. After World War Two, the ZBAS mines were put under national management. They were nationalised as of 1 January 1946, and made part of the Vychodoceske uhelne doly (VUD, ‘The East Bohemia Coal Mines’) national enterprise. In 1950, the mines around Zacler were merged and renamed Dul Jan Sverma. Mining ended in 1992. The Jiri mine shaft, the shaft building and the shaft tower were declared a National Heritage monument on 8 February 1996.